What is a sub domain and how to add one to your Windows or Linux hosting account.
A subdomain is a distinct web address within your main domain, each pointing to a different website or web service, while still using the primary domain's name. For example, consider the primary domain "example.com." You can create subdomains like "blog.example.com," "shop.example.com," or "support.example.com," each of which can host its own website or web application. These subdomains are treated as separate entities by web servers and can have different content, functionality, or even entirely different hosting environments.
With BOTH WINDOWS and LINUX hosting plans, adding sub domains is a little different.
HOW TO ADD A SUB DOMAIN ON WINDOWS HOSTING PLAN
- Click the green 'Control Panel' button
- Click Websites and Domains in the control panel.
- Click the Add Subdomain button.
- Enter the subdomain you would like.
- We suggest keeping the defaults.
- Click "OK" to save.
NOTE: A subdomain created in this way is a separate website.
HOW TO ADD A SUB DOMAIN ON LINUX HOSTING PLAN
- Click the green 'Control Panel' button, the cPanel will open
- Click 'DOMANS' icon >> Create a New Domain
- Type the name of the Subdomain e.g. staging.your-domain.com
- Typically you want to UNCHECK the "Share Document Root" option and use the auto-filled Document Root suggestion to place files in a sub-directory by the same name.
- Click "Submit"
NOTE: Sub-Domain will automatically get an entry in to the DNS records
If you are still having issues, please contact us for further help.
1-877-EPHOST1 | email@example.com