What is a sub domain and how to add one to your Windows or Linux hosting account.
They can be used to forward to URL's, or point to an IP address and directories within your hosting account. For example, 'west.example.com' and 'east.example.com' are sub domains, they can represent 'example.com/west' and 'example.com/east', respectively.
Another way of looking at them is a sub domain name is the third or lower level domain name that points to a sub folder for the domain.
With BOTH WINDOWS and LINUX hosting plans, adding sub domains is a little different.
HOW TO ADD A SUB DOMAIN ON WINDOWS HOSTING PLAN
- Click the green 'Control Panel' button
- Click 'Spaces'.
- Click Your Plan.
- Click 'Domain'
- Choose the 'Sub-Domain' option
- Type Sub-Domain Name
- Click 'Add Sub-Domain'
- Create a Website for this new sub domain
- Enable DNS for this new sub domain
NOTE: Sub-Domains in WebSitePanel are completely seperate websites.
HOW TO ADD A SUB DOMAIN ON LINUX HOSTING PLAN
- Click the green 'Control Panel' button, the cPanel will open
- Under section for 'DOMANS', Click on 'Subdomains'
- Type the name of the Subdomain, if you have muliple domains use the drop down 'Domain' List Box to select which domain you wish to add the sub domain to
- Type in the Document Root, the place where you want the files to be stored for the new Sub-Domain | HINT: Start by typing "/public_html/", you will notice a suggestion from the directory structure will start to auto-fill
- Click "Create"
NOTE: Sub-Domain will automatically get an entry in to the DNS records
If you are still having issues, please contact us for further help.
1-877-EPHOST1 | firstname.lastname@example.org